- The strawberry, a member of the rose family, is the only fruit with seeds on the outside. And on average, there are 200 seeds on each berry.
- Strawberries are the first fruit to ripen in the spring.
- Eight strawberries will provide 140 percent of the recommended daily intake of Vitamin C for kids.
- If all the strawberries produced in California in one year were laid berry to berry, they would go around the world 15 times.
- Current research suggests that eating just 8 strawberries a day can improve heart health, lower blood pressure, reduce inflammation, reduce the risk of cancers and even improve cognitive function.
- Pregnant women who eat strawberries can lower the risks of birth defects in their children, such as spina bifida.
- The combination of nutrients in strawberries leads to the prevention of and suppression of cancer cells! What other reason could you need?
- Forget Carrots! Strawberries score in the fruit group with the highest antioxidant values, which can help to prevent cataracts and other eye degeneration.
- Madame Tallien, a prominent woman in Emperor Napoleon’s court, was famous for taking baths of fresh strawberry juice. She used 22 pounds per basin.
- The American Indians introduced the Colonists to strawberries. The crushed berries were mixed with cornmeal and baked into bread. After trying this bread, Colonists developed their own version of the recipe and created Strawberry Shortcake
Today kicks off our Fall Festivites! We grow our own pumpkins and have 2 acre corn maze! Plus many fun activities for the kids!
Check out next month's issue of ALFA's Neighbors Magazine to see our little farmer sporting the cover!